What Size Tire Is 235/75R15 In Inches?
- Diameter Of The Tire: 28.88 Inches
- Tire Width: 9.25 inches
- Sidewall: 6.94 inches
- Diameter Of The Wheel: 15 inches.
The size 235/75R15 refers to a tire with a width of 235 millimetres, an aspect ratio (or sidewall height as a percentage of the width) of 75%, and a diameter of 15 inches.
Diameter Of The Tire
- Therefore, the overall diameter of the tire (including sidewall height and wheel diameter) is:
- Diameter = sidewall height x 2 + wheel diameter
- Diameter = 6.94 x 2 + 15 = 28.88 inches (rounded to the nearest hundredth)
- 235 millimeters * 0.0393701 inches/millimeter = 9.251969 inches
- Rounding to the nearest hundredth gives: 9.25 inches
- The sidewall height can be calculated as follows:
- Sidewall height = width x aspect ratio / 100
- Sidewall height = 235 x 75 / 100 = 176.25 mm
- Converting to inches:
- Sidewall height = 176.25 x 0.0393701 = 6.94 inches (rounded to the nearest hundredth)
Diameter Of The Wheel
- To convert the metric measurements to inches, we can use the following formula:
- 1 millimeter = 0.0393701 inches
- So, the tire’s width is approximately 9.25 inches (235 x 0.0393701 = 9.25197), and the diameter of the wheel is 15 inches.
|Tire Height (Diameter)||28.9 in||734 mm|
|Wheel Size||15 in||381 mm|
|Sidewall Height||6.9 in||176 mm|
|Tire Width||9.3 in||235 mm|
|Tire Circumference||90.7 in||2,304 mm|
|Revolutions per Mile||698.4|
|Revolutions per Kilometer||434|
What Does It Mean By 235/75R15?
“235/75R15” refers to a specific type of tire size.
- The first number, 235, is the tire’s width in millimeters.
- The second number, 75, is the aspect ratio, the height of the tire’s sidewall expressed as a percentage of its width. In this case, the sidewall height is 75% of the tire’s width.
- The “R” stands for “radial,” indicating that the tire has radial construction, the most common type of tire construction.
- The final number, 15, is the diameter of the wheel that the tire is intended to fit, measured in inches.
So, 235/75R15 indicates a tire with a width of 235 millimeters, a sidewall height of 75% of the width, radial construction, and intended to fit a 15-inch wheel.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can a 235/75R15 tire fit on any 15-inch rim?
Yes, as long as the rim width falls within the recommended range for the tire size.
What is the maximum load capacity of a 235/75R15 tire?
The maximum load capacity of a 235/75R15 tire varies depending on the specific tire model and its load index rating. You can check the tire’s sidewall for this information.
What is the recommended tire pressure for a 235/75R15 tire?
The recommended pressure for a 235/75R15 tire varies depending on the manufacturer’s specifications. You can find this information in the vehicle owner’s manual or a label inside the driver’s side door jamb.
Can a 235/75R15 tire be used in winter conditions?
Yes, a 235/75R15 tire can be used in winter conditions, but it may not perform as well as a specialized winter tire.
What is the speed rating of a typical 235/75R15 tire?
The speed rating of a typical 235/75R15 tire is S, which means it has a maximum speed capability of 112 mph.
How long does a 235/75R15 tire last?
The lifespan of a 235/75R15 tire varies depending on various factors, such as driving conditions, maintenance, and tire model. Most tires have a lifespan of around 40,000 to 60,000 miles.
Are there other tire sizes compatible with a 235/75R15 tire?
Yes, some other tire sizes that are compatible with a 235/75R15 tire include 225/75R15, 245/75R15, and 255/70R15.